Free and cheap activities in the Reykjavík area
All activities below are for free and open to everyone and here is a list of free virtual access to different activities
Please note that the activities below may hold some changes due to COVID-19.
- Mondays from 13.00-14.30 at the Social Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43).
- Tuesdays from 10.00-12.00 at the Social Center (Árskógar 4).
- Tuesdays from 13.00-15.00 at Red Cross Hafnarfjörður (Strandgata 24).
- Tuesdays from 13.30 at Social Center (Aflagrandi, 40): you can learn to knit and material will be provided if needed.
- Every other Tuesday from 19.30-21.30 at the Salvation Army, Álfabakki 12 (Mjódd).
- Thursdays from 13.00-16.00 at the Social Center (Vitatorg, Lindargata 59).
- Thursdays at 13.30 at Spöngin Culture House.
- Mondays from 10.00-13.00 for asylum seekers and immigrant women at the Salvation Army, Álfabakki 12 (Mjódd) - females only.
- Mondays and Fridays 13.00-16.00 at the Social Center (Vitatorg, Lindargata 59).
- Tuesdays from 10.00-11.30 at the Social Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43).
Other crafts: Carpeting, patchwork, wood carving
- Open Work space (sewing, knitting, quilting etc.):
Every day from 09.00-12.30 at the Social Center (Aflagrandi 40).
- Carpeting Workplace
Mondays from 8.30-14.00 at the Social Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43).
Tuesdays from 09.00-12.00 (some materials available) at the Social Center (Vitatorg, Lindargata 59).
- Wood carving
Tuesdays from 13.00-15.45 at the Social Center (Aflagrandi 40).
- Mondays from 19.30-22.30 at KR home, Frostaskjól 2 (costs 500 ISK or 300 ISK for regulars).
- Tuesdays from 19.30-22.30 at Taflélag Reykjavíkur, Faxafen 12.
- Mondays from 13:00-15:30 at Social Center (Aflagrandi, 40).
- Open card games Wednesdays from 13.30-15.50 at the Social Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43).
- Board game night, Fridays from 18.00-21.00 at Salvation Army Reykjavik (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
- Second Friday every month at 13.00-14.30 at the Social Center in Bólstaðarhlíð 43 (250 kr. Per card).
- Every Friday 13.30-14.30 at Vitatorg Social Center, Lindagata 59 (250kr. Per card).
- Every Friday 13.30-15.45 at the Social Center in Aflagrandi 40 (250kr. Per card).
- Open card games: every day while the store is open. Different kinds of game tournaments during the week in Nexus (Glæsibær, Álfheimar 74).
- Board game night: Fridays from 18:00 at Salvation Army Reykjavik (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
- Swing, Rock Rolln Roll, Salsa, or Lindy Hop dance evenings for free or little money:
- Practice Milango (Tango) in Iðnó, Vonarstræti 3, every Tuesday from 20:30 until 22:30 (1000kr. Free for under 30 years old). More info here.
- Dancing exercise on Wednesdays from 12:50 to 13:20 in Social Center (Aflagrandi, 40).
- Icelandic traditional dancing with Vitatorgsbandinu : Wednesdays from 14.00-15.00 in Vitatorg Social Center (Lindagata 59).
- Salsa nights for beginners: Wednesdays from 19.30 in IÐNÓ (Vonarstræti 3).
- Practice Tango in Kramhúsið from 21-22 every Friday and then dance Milonga until 24 (1000kr. Free for under 30 years old). Skólavörðustígur 12 (walk in the port from Bergstaðarstræti).
- check out The Multicultural Choir.
- Singing hour: the last Monday of every month from 13.45-14.30 at the Social Center in Bólstaðarhlíð 43 (in Icelandic).
- Singing hour: Wednesdays from 13.45-14.30 at Social Center (Aflagrandi 40) (in Icelandic).
- Singing hour: Thursdays from 15.30-16.30 at Social Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43) (piano available).
- Play the Ukulele: Thursdays from 10.00-11.00 in the Social Center, Aflagrandi 40 (You do not need to bring your own Ukulele. Piano also available).
- Organ concert: first Saturday every month from 12.00-12.30 in Hallgrímskirkja.
- Check out India in Iceland.
- Yoga with laughter: Tuesdays from 09.00-09.50 at Culture Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43).
- Meditation mass with organ music, Thursdays from 12:00 at Hallgrímstorg.
Hiking / walking
- Check out The Vesen og vergangur Walking Club.
- Walk around the neighborhood on Mondays from 13.00-14.00 starting from the Social Center at Bólstaðarhlíð 43.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 17.00-18.00 at the Social Center (Bólstaðarhlíð 43).
- Bocca (ball game): Tuesdays and Fridays from 10:00 at Social Center (Aflagrandi 40).
Exercise class'(for people over 50 years old): Fridays from 10:30 at Froftafkjól, 2 (107, Reykjavík).
Meet other parents
- Check out Icelands International parents' group.
- Parent´s mornings: Wednesdays from 10.00-12.00 at Hallgrímskirkja.
- Families with infants / toddlers Get-Together:
- Thursdays from 10.30-11.30 at Grófin City Library (Tryggvagata 15).
- Fridays from 11.15-12.15 at Kringlan Culture House / Library (Kringlan 4-612).
- Family hours at Kópavogur: Saturdays from 13.00-15.00.
- Free Icelandic language classes (where children are welcome) on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 09.30-11.30 by the Icelandic Lutheran mission (Kristniboðssalurinn, Háaleitisbraut 58-60, 3rd floor). It is recommended to register before hand via this phone number: 533 4900
- Free Icelandic language classes for parents with young children (learn Icelandic through music): Mondays from 11.00-12.30 by the Icelandic Lutheran mission (Kristniboðssalurinn Háaleitisbraut 58-60, 3rd floor).
Join a group for fathers / mothers
Practice Icelandic or other languages and teach someone your language
- Check out Café Lingua - living language.
- Free Icelandic language classes for parents with young children (learn Icelandic through music): Mondays from 11.00-12.30 by the Icelandic Lutheran mission (Kristniboðssalurinn, Háaleitisbraut 58-60, 3rd floor).
- Free Icelandic language classes (where children are welcome) on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 09.30-11.30 by the Icelandic Lutheran mission (Kristniboðssalurinn, Háaleitisbraut 58-60, 3rd floor). It is recommended to register before hand via this phone number: 533 4900.
- Practice Icelandic on Saturdays from 10.00-12.00 at Mímir, Höfðabakki 9.
- Practice Icelandic online:
- Icelandic language classes twice a week for immigrants and refugees starting on 14th September. Classes will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 17: 30-19: 00 every week for 13 weeks. Place: Ástjarnarkirkja, Kirkjuvellir 1, 221 Hafnarfjörður. Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistance with house search and sometimes financial support: Caritas organization in the Catholic Church, Túngata 13. Book an appointment with Michael Frigge via email: email@example.com
- For women: peer counseling, learn about your rights: WOMEN .
- Tech café / Tæknikaffi: assistance with computer and phones: Thursdays from 16.00-18.00 at the City Library (Tryggvagata 15). More info here.
- Coffee, chat and snack at PEPP house in Mjódd, Álfabakka 12 from 11: 00-15: 00 Mondays to Fridays.
- Breakfast centre and chat: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 09.00-11.30 with Mother Teresa Sisters (Ingólfsstræti 12).
- Open House and lunch: Mondays to Fridays from 12.00-14.00 at the Salvation army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
- Lunch on Wednesdays from 12:00 in Breiðholtskirkja.
- Book club: Spanish reading. One Wednesday a month from 19:30-21:00 in Gerðuberg Library, Gerðuberg 3-5. Check exactly when here.
- Aristotle´s Café / Discussion Hour: most Wednesdays from 18.30-19.30 in Gerðuberg Library, Gerðuberg 3-5. Check exactly when here.
- The Women's Story Circle at City Library, Tryggvagata 15.
- Every other Friday 15:00 60+ senior work every other week at Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
Children's and teenager's groups
- Monday Club for teenagers between ages 16-25 every second Monday from 18:00 to 20:00 at Hamarinn - Youth Center, Suðurgata 14, 220 Hafnarfjörður.
Social gatherings with teenagers (13 to 16 years old) on Mondays from 18:00 to 19:30 at Hallgrímstorg.
- Open house for 10+ year olds: Wednesdays from 16.00-20:30 and hot meal at 18:00 at the Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki).
Story telling in various languages at the libraries.
- English at Kringlan Library (Kringlan 4).
- Spanish at Gerðuberg City Library.
- Homework assistance on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 15.00-17.00 at Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
Islamic Cultural Center of Iceland / Muslim Cultural Center in Iceland. More info here.
Philadelphia International Church, Hátún 3
- Service in English on Sundays from 14.00.
- Service in Spanish on Sundays from 16:00. More info here.
The Baptist church, Fagraþing 2a
- Service in English on Sundays from 11.00.
Pastor for immigrants
- Worship & Prayer service in English on Sundays (except on the last Sunday a month) from 14.00 in Breiðholtskirkja. More info here.
- Interview hours for those that wish to talk to a pastor. More info here.
The Lutheran church, Hallgrímskirkja
- Every last Sunday of the month. Service in English from 14.00.
The Catholic church, Túngata 13
- Sunday Service at 8:30 and 13:00 in Polish.
- Sunday Service at 18:00 in English.
- Bible study on Thursdays at 17:30 at Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
- Prayer meeting on Thursdays at19:30 at Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
- Home League, women's ministry on Mondays from 15.00- 16.00 in Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
- Messy church with hot meal at 12:00 on the last Saturday of each month for the whole family in Salvation Army (Mjódd, Álfabakki 12).
Tradesmen's weekend / Traders' weekend
- First weekend of August. Festivals all over the country, including in Reykjavik.
Reykjavík Culture Night
- The fourth week of August. A day long festival that ends with a firework show at Arnarhóll. Check out the latest info here.
The lighting of the Light Tower of Peace
- Every year on 9 October at Viðey. Free boat ride to the island. More info here.
Christmas in the Capital Area
- The Ice-Skating Ring at Ingólfsstræti. Open in December from 12.00-22.00. More info here.
- Christmas village at Thorsplani in Hafnafjörður.
New Year's Eve Bonfires
- In 10 different places around the capital area on New Year's Eve.
The thirteen day / Kings day´s Bonfires
- The evening of 6 January each year in different places in Reykjavík.
Free stand-up comedy shows in English
- Tuesdays at the The Secret Cellar, Lækjargata 6a from 21.00-23.00.
Events at the libraries
- Language practice, intercultural projects etc. More info here.
The church aid, Háaleitisbraut 66
- Assistance for low income families before Christmas. More info at 528-4400 or here .
What is On
- Overview of events in Reykjavík here .
- Join their Facebook group for book swaps, clothes swaps, water coloring, yoga and other free events. More info here.
- A self-organized space, where people contribute their interests and skills to make things happen. Various events and gatherings open to everyone like Icelandic / Farsi / Dari classes, cooking hours, yoga classes etc. More info here.
Reykjavík Tool Library
Phone apps that help with stress
- ALMHAR Mental health aid for refugees (available in Farsi, Arabic and English).
- Headspace. Guided Meditation.
Social Centers with various activities