Strategies and policies
Trust and accountability is the foundation of all humanitarian work and our operations are built on trust -of the communities and individuals we serve, our donors and partners, as well as internally- so we are able to serve when needed.
Here you will find our policies, strategy and other documents that apply for our operations. The Icelandic Red Cross also works in accordance with policies of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent available here.
First and foremost we are accountable to
- The communities and individuals we serve
- Our volunteers and staff
- Our donors and partners
Core humanitarian standards
What you can expect from our organisation as a person affected by crisis
When our organisation works with a community to help them respond to a crisis, we promise to follow
nine general commitments. This page explains those commitments in plain language, so you know
what you can expect from us.
Emergencies can bring problems for us too. So although we always try to follow the commitments,
sometimes we might not be able to. But we want to learn and improve over time, so you can help us
by providing us feedback.
We will do our best to:
- understand and meet your needs.
- give support when you need it.
- provide support that helps you to recover and prepares you to respond to a similar emergency in the future. We should not harm you.
- inform you about the support you can expect and how you should be treated. We will do our best to give you a say in decisions about the support provided.
- ensure that you can report problems if you are unhappy with the support we provide or with the way our staff treat you. No one should harm you if you make a complaint. We will take action in response to complaints.
- work together with other organisations that provide support. We try to combine our knowledge and resources to better meet your needs.
- learn from experience so that the support we give you improves over time.
- ensure that the people who work for us have the skills and experience to support you.
- manage resources in a way that is responsible, limits waste and has the best result for you.
Read more on the standards at www.corehumanitarianstandard.org